Saturday 21 December 2013

Winter Solstice Greetings







Today December 21 is the Winter Solstice and for as long as I can remember has been a really important day.
 Growing up we always celebrated its arrival and looked forward to the the Sun's return.
The Solstice Celebration was an ambiguous one ( in my house anyway it was felt as a digression from the Christian feast on the 25'th .
 I always got the sense that the Solstice was a pagan ritual and almost celebrated in secret. It had an air of mystery and danger as if one was entering forbidden territory. This may be one of the reasons it intrigued me.
It had the appeal of forbidden fruit. Yet another of the ambivalent aspects of Irish Christianity.
 My Uncle Seamus ( the priest ), loved all these old  pre christian tombs and sites, we would visit them and when there listen to marvellous tales of heroes from our ancient past.  Tales of Fionn Mac Cumhaill, Cu Culainn and  ' 'Diarmuid agus Grainne' filled  my head and nourished my imagination.  These trips awakened dreams of heroic journeys way beyond the darkness of long winters.

So on this Solstice I want to Celebrate,

 Celebrate The Stories ,

The Rich Heritage In Our Landscape ,

 In Our Bones , Our DNA,

 Celebrate The Return  Of The Sun Our Life Giving Star.

Here below are some News Clips on Newgrange and the Winter Solstice

Art Work On The Stones At Newgrange


Newgrange Inside The Passage Tomb


HAPPY SOLSTICE CELEBRATIONS TO YOU


No comments: