Friday, 20 September 2013
Roshi and the Crickets
Roshi poured me a glass of Courvoisier. We were in a
cabin on Mt.Baldy, summer of 1977. We were
listening to the crickets.
- Kone, Roshi said, you should write a cricket poem.
- I've already written a cricket poem. It was in this
cabin two years ago.
Roshi fried some sliced pork in sunflower oil and boiled
a three minute noodle soup. We finished one bottle
of courvoisier and opened another.
- Yah, Kone, you should write a cricket poem.
- That is a very Japanese idea, Roshi.
We listened to the crickets a while longer. Then we
closed the the light so we could open the door and
the breeze without the flies coming in.
- Yah, Cricket.
- Roshi, give me your idea of a cricket poem.
- Ha ha. Okay:
dark night ( said Roshi)
cricket sound break out
cricket girlfriend listening.
- That's pretty good, Roshi.
Dark night ( Rochi began again)
walking on the path
suddenly break out cricket sound
where is my lover?
- I don't like that one.
cricket ! cricket ! ( Roshi cried )
you are my lover
now I'm walking path alone
but I'm not lonely with you.
- I'm afraid not Roshi. The first one was good.
Then the crickets stopped for a while and Roshi poured
Courvoisier into our glasses. It was a peaceful
- Yah, Koen, said Roshi very softly you should write
You can see a beautiful clip of Leonard Cohen speaking about
Sasaki Roshi Here