Sunday 16 June 2013

More about Learning



Study and learning ( in my opinion ) are some of the most enjoyable pursuits on the planet.
When I study a new subject ,  learn its vocabulary ,  read about it and read experiences of its students and teachers my world expands into realms previously unknown to me.
 Can you you imagine what life would be like if nobody had made maps , here I'm  referring to maps as any form of learning system ,  curriculum or book. Now we all know that the map is not the territory but how much longer would it take us to find our way without maps and directions left by people who have ventured forward ,explored new thoughts and ways of thinking and seeing.  Often these people have to even invent the vocabulary to express their experiences and their discoveries. To begin to understand and share in their worldview we have to study the subject and  learn the vocabulary.
  This takes time and effort,  I can  remember beginning my study of T'ai Chi with it's vocabulary of body movements that were completely new and strange to me at that time. It took a long time before they became familiar enough that I could begin to feel the more subtle aspects of energy work inherent in the practice.
 I can remember being baffled when my teachers spoke of the change in the ' energy ' during a session. In the beginning just coming to terms with the day's lesson was taking all my available consciousness. Feeling the  ' energy shifts happened as my skill in the form sand partner work improved so more of my mindspace was available to experience the subtle shifts in energy.
Reconnection had a whole new vocabulary of body movements , sensations  and experiences and in learning this new skill other aspects of this  reality became accessible to me. Aspects I couldn't have dreamt of without the reconnection experience , and the  study and reading  of the subject.

Here below is a letter from Einstein to his son  with advice on learning which resonates well with my experience and good for a ' Father's Day ' blog post .

Yesterday I received your dear letter and was very happy with it. I was already afraid you wouldn’t write to me at all any more. You told me when I was in Zurich, that it is awkward for you when I come to Zurich. Therefore I think it is better if we get together in a different place, where nobody will interfere with our comfort. I will in any case urge that each year we spend a whole month together, so that you see that you have a father who is fond of you and who loves you. You can also learn many good and beautiful things from me, something another cannot as easily offer you. What I have achieved through such a lot of strenuous work shall not only be there for strangers but especially for my own boys. These days I have completed one of the most beautiful works of my life, when you are bigger, I will tell you about it.
I am very pleased that you find joy with the piano. This and carpentry are in my opinion for your age the best pursuits, better even than school. Because those are things which fit a young person such as you very well. Mainly play the things on the piano which please you, even if the teacher does not assign those. That is the way to learn the most, that when you are doing something with such enjoyment that you don’t notice that the time passes. I am sometimes so wrapped up in my work that I forget about the noon meal. . . .
Be with Tete kissed by your
Papa.
Regards to Mama.


No comments: