Wednesday 13 January 2010

Conscious Practice

When the "form" finishes I like to stand for a while paying special attention to any letting go that happens in my muscles. This is one way I "catch" the places where my body is resisting.

Then I repeat the form this time keeping this place soft and relaxed. For me doing this means that the form really slows down (otherwise I tense up again), also I become very aware of the lure of my mind drawing me into an old memory or some plan for the future.

At the end of this form I repeat the body scan. Then one more form, this time focusing on the yield and respond aspect of each posture or some other aspect which pulls my attention more outside thus balancing the practice lest I become too self engrossed.

Interestingly enough I find that during the final form, even when my conscious attention is mainly on the applications, part of me is checking that my old tension remains a thing of the past.

No comments: