Monday 29 August 2011

The other day while I was browsing in the Library I passed the business section and thought to myself "open your mind don't dismiss this section and think that's not for me" so I stopped and walked along and sure enough a book jumped out at me. Heart by Gail Godwin . I wondered has business got a heart ? (here I'm noticing my beliefs about business) anyway the book was really about the heart and absorbed me so I left the business section and came home with a book about heart. My family laughed at my story.
Then today I came across this dialogue with Peter Synge ( The The Journal of Business Strategy named Senge one of the greatest influences on business strategy over the last 100 years. ) and found him to be full of heart !

Here below is his response to Prasad Kaipa's Question: When did you come alive in your own life and get to know yourself better ?

" I vividly remember one particular exercise known as the ‘choice exercise’ that we participated in that got etched in my mind. One of those choices – “being an observer”- just made me think and ponder for a while. It just crystallized in my mind as a choice from that time on.
It became an interesting observer process. After so many years, I don’t really think about it, but I really observe myself when I talk. There is this Peter who is talking and one who is observing. It is kind of a binocular vision. You have to be in yourself talking, and also have that awareness of standing to the side of yourself.

I think part of it is not being attached to your self. We all started to kind of disassociate ourselves from our mind strategies -- like if I do this, this will happen as opposed to just being present and saying whatever happens is fine. It is about really supporting our intentions and supporting people who are there.

I learned during that time that whenever I get really confused or sad or discouraged, I would just make the choice to be of service to other people and forget about everything else.
So I kind of developed this trust that it was all coming back to paying attention to what was going on and be clear about my choice to be of service, and I think it takes care of itself. "

Senge talks about how his own internal development helped him develop a perspective on systems theory: "I think the terminology I would use is 'a continuous process of reflection'. I've always thought of only two questions that have mattered to me personally. One is what is really needed in the world and the second is what's really important to me and how these two intersect. It's always been a reflective process -- spiraling around these two poles.Dr. Senge is the author of The Fifth Discipline: the Art and Practice of the Learning Organization.. It may well become the first book about business on my bookshelf.

No comments: