Monday 23 May 2011

The 1990s is the decade of breakthrough in the scientific acknowledgment that man is not transparent to himself. The germ of this breakthrough lay in knowledge that what we sense to what we perceive is 1,000,000 to 1.
"The fact that you recall the meaning but not the words of the last sentence is a commonplace observation, As you read the sentence it is actually very difficult to describe just what you are conscious of, although you are clearly conscious of something."Richard Latto and John Cacmpion
Or are you ? But thinking . . . Surely thinking is a conscious activity. Don't you think ?
" I insist that words are totally absent from my mind when I really think, " wrote the mathematician Jaques Hadamard in his famous ' Essay on the Psychology of Invention in the Mathematical Field '. " Even after reading or hearing a question, every word disappears at the very moment I am beginning to think it over, words do not reappear in my consciousness before I have accomplished or given up the research. . . . I fully agree with Schopenhauer when he writes, thoughts die the moment they are embodied in words,"
More from ' The User Illusion ' soon. / .

No comments: